According to the legend, Margrave Leopold III founded Klosterneuburg Abbey at the place where he found the veil of his wife Agnes, which had been seized by a gust of wind on the day of their wedding.
In the early 12th century, the Babenberg Margrave Leopold had his residence built near the present location of the abbey church at Klosterneuburg. The foundation stone was laid on 12 June 1114. In 1133 the Order of the Augustinian Canons settled at Klosterneuburg upon Leopold’s initiative. Since that time (with the exception of the years between 1941 and 1945, when the canonry was suppressed by the Nazis), the canons have lived and worked there and in the parishes in their care, following the Rule of Saint Augustine.
In an eventful history spanning nine centuries, Klosterneuburg Abbey has developed into a religious, pastoral, scientific, cultural and economic centre of a distinction that shines into the world far beyond the abbey walls. Today, almost 50 canons who are members of the Canonry, and the great number of staff in the parishes and the monastic businesses want to take this great legacy into the future together.