The abbey museum is located in the second floor of the Imperial Wing. In not less than 12 rooms, a survey of the abbey’s art collections is displayed. The collection of late Gothic panel paintings, in particular, is of more than regional significance.
The Babenberg family tree
The Babenberg family tree (1489/92), an 8-metre wide triptych originally set up at the tomb of St. Leopold for the benefit of pilgrims, is an outstanding work of art. This giant painting was commissioned by Klosterneuburg Abbey after the canonisation of Leopold III in 1485, to make the new patron saint known to the faithful and at the same time make them acquainted with his family history. The work on this huge triptych took until 1492 to finish. The middle part shows each male representative of the dynasty in a scene that is typical for his life (a number of historically valuable views of different towns, abbeys and castles are depicted as well). On the side wings, their wives and daughters are portrayed.
Panel paintings by Rueland Frueauf the Younger
The paintings by Rueland Frueauf the Younger were all created between 1496 and 1507. They are among the most well-known works of art in the abbey, especially the four panels illustrating the legend of the veil. What makes these paintings so remarkable is their wealth of details. A completely new approach towards landscape can be seen here.
One of the rooms shows the collection of Renaissance bronzes. This collection is one of the richest of its kind in Austria. Most of them come from Italian workshops of the 16th century.
“Mercury and Cupid”, a lead statuette by Georg Raphael Donner, paintings by Johann Michael Rottmayr, Paul Troger, Martin Johann Schmidt (also known as “Kremser Schmidt”) and Franz Anton Maulbertsch are highlights of Baroque art. The Gallery of Modern Art exhibits a selection of religious art form 20th and 21st century in changing presentations.