The Sacred Tour leads through the mediaeval cloister to the seven-branched candelabrum…
The new Habsburg Tour makes it possible, for the first time ever at Klosterneuburg Monastery, to view all the treasures belonging to the Imperial Habsburg family on just one tour.
The Emperor Charles VI, father of the Empress Maria Theresia, began to enlarge and develop Klosterneuburg Monastery into the “Austrian Escorial”, as a seat of secular and spiritual power. For centuries, Klosterneuburg Monastery remained an important religious centre for the reigning Habsburg family. Thus, many precious objects were endowed to the Monastery through the centuries. In 1616, the Austrian Archducal Hat was endowed by the Emperor Maximilian III as the holy crown of the Archduchy of Austria and as a “symbol of the unity of the hereditary lands of Austria”. Particularly impressive in the Marble Hall is the ceiling fresco “The Glory of the House of Austria” by Daniel Gran. The Habsburg Tour leads through the private rooms of the Emperor Charles VI back to the Sala terrena.
An audio-visual compilation of the most famous exhibits of Klosterneuburg Monastery. Learn more